What is social media?
We hear the term ‘social media’ often, but what exactly does it mean
and what makes it different from traditional media?
Think of regular media like newspapers, television and radio as a one-way street where you can receive information from these sources, but your ability to give feedback or interact with them is very limited.
Social media, on the other hand, is a two-way street where you can comment on and rate what you read or watch, start conversations and publish your own content.
What are social media sites?
Using the same metaphor, social media sites are web sites that don’t just give you information (one-way street), but also allow you to interact (two-way street) with the content provided on the web site.
Some of the most popular types of social media websites are:
- Social Bookmarking. (Del.icio.us, StumbleUpon) Interact by tagging websites and searching through websites bookmarked by other people.
- Social News. (Digg, Reddit) Interact by voting for articles and commenting on them.
- Social Networking. (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn) Interact by adding friends or following people or organisations, commenting on posts, joining groups and having discussions.
- Social Photo and Video Sharing. (YouTube, Flickr, Instagram, Pinterest) Interact by sharing photos or videos and commenting on user submissions.
- Wikis. (Wikipedia, Wikia) Interact by adding articles and editing existing articles.
These websites are not the only social media websites. Any website that invites you to interact with the site and with other visitors falls into the definition of social media.
Popular social media sites
- Blog is a website that has built in functionality for posting, categorising and commenting on articles
- Articles written by YOU. You are the EXPERT! Share your expertise with the world
- Fresh searchable content for websites that can be optimised for search engines
- Not a writer? Why not create video blogs?
- Your ‘home’ that won’t go anywhere or change like other 3rd party social media tools
- Social networking
- Millions of daily active users
- Millions of websites have integrated with Facebook
- Can include: custom tabs, call-to-action, video and lead capture offers, shopping cart, etc..
- Micro‐blogging site in 140 characters
- hundreds of millions of active users
- hundreds of millions of tweets daily – many billion in a year
- Twitter search engine gets 1 billion queries daily
- Online photo and video sharing social network
- Share through a series of pictures
- hundreds of millions of active users a month
- hundreds of millions of photos loaded a day
- Owned by Google and favored in the Google search results
- Shows map locations in Google search results for local businesses
- Offers google hangouts platform for online meetings and webinars
- There are billions of G+ profiles
- Of these, about 9% have any publicly-posted content
- Online video made by YOU
- Online video is > 60% of internet traffic
- Hundreds of hours of video are uploaded every minute
- Billions of videos are viewed a day
- 52% of people who view CTA video, take action!
- Youtube the #2 largest search engine
- The YouTube player is embedded across tens of millions of websites
- Social networking site for the business community
- Hundreds of millions of members
- Linkedin members us it for recruitment
- The largest B2B networking site
- The average CEO has 930 connections on Linkedin
- An online pinboard
- Beautiful visual interface – digital photo collage
- Users can set up pin boards for pinning photos
- Photos can be repinned, liked and commented
- Surpassed Google+, Twitter, Linkedin and Youtube for referral traffic
Socially Optimised Websites
- Responsive design – it can be viewed across multiple devices e.g. laptops, mobiles and tablets
- Include a blog for creating value-adding content for target audiences
- Show most common social sharing buttons to encourages sharing of articles and quotes on social media
- Can display dynamic content from social media profiles e.g. newsfeeds, posts and images from Facebook, videos from Youtube etc.
Not sure where to start with your businesses social media strategy? Start your journey by booking a FREE introductory session with us.