Why social media for small business?
Why should small business care about social media?
Your Clients Are On Social!
- 72% of all internet users are now active on social media
- Most active 18‐29 year olds with 89% usage
- 60% of 50‐60 year olds are using social media
- 43% of 65+ year olds are using social media!!
- US citizens, Aussies and Brits spent the most time on Facebook 13‐16% per hour
- 71% access social media on their mobile devices (source: JeffBullas.com 2014)
Social media sites like Facebook has over BILLION members, who spent an average of 9 hours every week interacting with other members on these sites.
Not only do users of social media interact with each other, they also use social media site for searching information on relevant topics. Did you know that Youtube is now the second largest search engine in the world after Google and 4 billion videos are viewed on Youtube every day?
If you thought of social media as a quickly passing fad with little relevance to small business, think again! The numbers speak for themselves. Your customers are on social media and if your business is not using social media to engage with them, the chances are they might be interacting with your competitors instead.
5 Avenues of Social Media
- Lead generation tool
- Channel for customer service
- Transparency, openness and building trust
- Market research
- Position your business or yourself as an expert in your field and build social influence
Small Business and Social Media: Time vs. Money?
Traditional marketing can be a drain on your funds and not an option. Social media marketing, on the other hand, is pretty low-cost and gives you a direct line to current and prospective customers.
But there is a catch: What you save in dollarsyou’ll invest in time. You have to be smart and efficient with the resources you have to achieve the results you need.
Social Media Strategy
Why do I need one? Without a strategy your social media campaign will lack direction and you are likely to spend money & effort and not get any results.
Business of Social Media
- Social media is ONLY A PART of your bigger PICTURE of all business activity: product development, branding, marketing, customer service, sales, admin, planning
- It’s not a magic bullet!
- Social media is part of your customer service and marketing and sales – like answering your phone or emails
Common Challenges with Social Media…. and Solutions
- No results (leads, sales…)
- Takes too much time to update & manage
- Don’t know what to do with my page
The solution to these 3 common challenges is in developing an overall strategy and plan for social media marketing for your business that ensures all these aspects are addressed.
4. Doubt: Does it really work for me?
This 4th challenge is more about mindset and the old saying explains this one pretty well:“What you put in, is what you get out of it!”It is simple as that! It will work for you if you decide to make it work!
So don’t ask does it work, instead ask: Are you prepared to make it work for your business?
Speed Up The Learning Curve!
Working with a marketing professional to design a strategy that suits your business is well worth the initial investment, because it saves you time in having to learn it all yourself, trial and error, and costly mistakes. Strategy gives your social media marketing a direction, plan of steps to follow and processes that save time and money in managing your social media ongoing.